Careers and employability
There are numerous possibilities for graduates of the subject areas of disaster management and humanitarian response.
The general and academic skills acquired on our courses are welcomed by a broad spectrum of employers including:
- international organisations (for example the UN and the EU);
- international Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC);
- non-governmental organisations.
Course and programme specific information
Please see our individual course and programme information for more details about career opportunities.
- BSc International Disaster Management and Humanitarian Response
- BSc Global Health (intercalated)
- MA Humanitarianism and Conflict Response
- MSc International Disaster Management
- PhD Humanitarianism and Conflict Response
The Third Sector Club
The University of Manchester’s Careers Service also hosts the Third Sector Club, a club exclusively for University of Manchester students who are interested in working or volunteering in the sector. It’s an informal group which meets throughout the academic year and offers the opportunity to gain insights into the diverse nature of the roles and organisations within this sector.
Careers Starting Point Guides
The Careers Service has published a series of useful guides available online or in person from the Atrium, University Place. As well as more general advice about job searching, applications, CVs, interviews, and presentations, there are some career sector guides that might be of particular interest to HCRI students: