Fees and funding

Undergraduate funding

As well as student loans to cover fees and maintenance, UK/EU students may also be entitled to a University bursary or scholarship.

Taught master's funding

As well as the Postgraduate Loan Scheme offered by the UK government to eligible UK/EU students, we offer a range of awards for both Home/EU and International students at master's level.

Applicants to HCRI who apply for School master's level funding will automatically be considered for HCRI bursaries.

Manchester Humanities International Excellence Scholarships

This scholarship is open to applicants who hold an offer from Manchester for postgraduate (taught master's) programmes.

Elys Roberts Scholarship - Global Health

Scholarships for the first year of study in MSc Global Health.

For September 2024, a scholarship is available to help fund the first year of study in MSc Global Health by distance learning.

The purpose of the scholarship is to equip those who want to make an impact in Global Health and to support international humanitarian work. The scholarship is available to support those pursuing a career in Global Health, from or working in low/middle-income countries who might not otherwise have the means to study for a postgraduate qualification.


  • UK students (per annum): £3,833 p.a. (one year)
  • International, including EU, students (per annum): £9,000 p.a. (one year)

The closing date for applications is Friday, 24 May 2024 11.59 pm (GMT). The course will commence in September 2024.


We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate:

  • professional experience related to Global Health;
  • a clear idea of how the MSc in Global Health and studying at HCRI will benefit their career;
  • a clear passion around the subject of global health;
  • applicants are encouraged from the Global South and particularly Low- or Middle-Income Country (LMIC);
  • applicants are encouraged from the those working in LMIC contexts


  • Applicants who already have a masters level qualification are ineligible to apply.
  • Students who have already accepted full scholarships or bursaries for September 2024 entry are ineligible to apply

How to apply

To apply for the scholarship, you will need to complete the following by Friday, 24 May 2024 11.59 pm (GMT).

Conditions of any Scholarship Award

Scholarship Award Holders have a commitment to:

  • provide blog entries throughout their study;
  • engage with requests for video testimonials if possible during their course;
  • write a testimonial at the end of their course.

Equity and Merit Scholarship

The University of Manchester's Equity and Merit Scholarships are for international students from Uganda, Ethiopia, Rwanda and Tanzania, who have the potential to make a significant contribution to sustainable development in their home countries. The awards are intended for those who couldn't afford to study in Manchester without a scholarship.

We offer two types of scholarship:

  • Full-time, on-campus master’s (one-year duration)
  • Part-time distance learning master’s (three to five years' duration)

The scholarships cover full tuition fees, and for students who will be studying in Manchester, the award includes return international airfares, living expenses and visas.

The programmes at the Humanitarian and Conflict Response which are applicable are:

  • Global Health MSc (Distance Learning)
  • Humanitarianism and Conflict Response MA
  • International Disaster Management MSc

Find out more about how to apply.

HCRI taught masters scholarships


Friday, 24 May 2024, 11.59pm (GMT)


HCRI is offering a full-fee scholarship (set at Home/EU Fees) for students commencing their studies in September 2024.

There will be one scholarship available for each of the following programmes.

  • MA Humanitarianism and Conflict Response
  • MSc International Disaster Management

The amount is £13,500 (1-year, full Home fee)

Eligibility criteria

  • Applicants may be of any nationality.
  • Students who have already accepted full scholarships or bursaries for September 2024 entry are ineligible to apply.

How to apply

You must submit an application for the course via the Online Application Form complete with the following.

  • A 500-word case for funding support (this can be your personal statement in the online application form, or a statement uploaded at the end of the form or attached to the cover email).
  • Transcripts of most recent study (interim if studies are incomplete).
  • Two references submitted on your behalf via the reference upload link or uploaded to the online application form (please do not duplicate).
  • Confirmation email with ID number and full name to MASALCfunding@manchester.ac.uk.

Once you have submitted your application, you will be assigned a University ID number.

Please email MASALCfunding@manchester.ac.uk with your ID number and we will confirm receipt of your funding application.

Volunteer Bursary

Deadline for application: Wednesday, 31st July 11.59 pm (UK/BST).

The HCRI department is offering one full-fee bursary (set at Home fees) to current University of Manchester undergraduate students or Project Trust Returned Volunteers who can demonstrate a strong interest in volunteering.

Today, we are seeing an increase in humanitarian crises driven by climate change and conflict.

That’s why now, more than ever, it’s important that we have people with the skills, voice, and academic evidence to address these problems and take action and influence change going forward.

The bursary is aimed at those who want to apply their insight and first-hand experience of volunteering with relevant organisations and networks to their studies at HCRI.

Through application and interview, students should be able to show how volunteering has influenced or is relevant to studying at HCRI and their vision of helping others through their future careers.

The two masters programmes which are multidisciplinary and open to applicants from any discipline are:

  • MA Humanitarianism and Conflict Response 
  • MSc International Disaster Management

Amount: £13,500 (1-year, full Home fee)

Eligibility criteria

  • Applicants may be of any nationality.
  • Students who have already accepted full scholarships or bursaries for September 2024 entry are ineligible to apply.
  • The bursary is only available to current University of Manchester undergraduate students.

How to apply

  • Please read the terms and conditions below to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria.
  • You should first apply for a place on your chosen course using the standard application form.
  • Please provide a supporting statement with your reasons for applying and what you would bring to the programme as a student [500 words] and how your volunteering experience would support your postgraduate studies at HCRI [250 words], by email to hcri@manchester.ac.uk. Please include your full name and application ID number.
  • Shortlisted applicants will then be invited to an online interview.

Conditions of any HCRI Bursary Award

As a Bursary Award Holder, we request that you agree to:

  • Have your profile (name, programme of study, photograph, and biography) made available on the HCRI webpage and other University communication channels.
  • Provide several short blog entries during your course.
  • Engage with requests for video testimonials during your course which will be included on the HCRI website via HCRI’s YouTube channel, and possibly other University communication channels.
  • Write a testimonial at the end of your course.
  • Provide an alumni update once you have graduated from your course.
  • Take part in other communication and marketing opportunities that may arise throughout your time on the course. 

Postgraduate research funding

While you can apply for a PhD place at any time, if you wish to apply for funding for the upcoming academic year, you must have submitted your PhD and funding applications by early February. See the funding pages for annual deadlines:

Postgraduate 1+3 funding

Funding is available from the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) for students to pursue postgraduate study through a master's (one year) leading into a PhD (three years). This is referred to as a 1+3 programme. It requires a project proposal as part of the application. Information is available on the website of the North-West Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership:

Funding for UK/EU applicants only

Applicants to HCRI are considered under the ‘Development and Humanitarianism in an Unequal World’ pathway of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). Applying for an ESRC studentship requires you to complete a separate application to your main University application. Ideally, you should have or be expecting a Distinction at master's level.

Funding for applicants of any nationality

HCRI offers two studentships for the PhD in Humanitarianism and Conflict Response, with stipends at UK Research Council rates. One of these may cover international fees.

Funding is also available through the School of Arts Languages and Culture Studentships and The University of Manchester’s Presidential Doctoral Competition. If you are an alumnus of The University of Manchester, you are also eligible for the Research Impact Scholarships. Further details of all the funding including how to apply, eligibility criteria and application deadlines can be found at:

If you are an international applicant, it is worth seeing what your own home country research councils offer or investigating Commonwealth Scholarship awards.

Research field trips funding

For current students, we also have bursaries available to cover some of the costs of our undergraduate and postgraduate research field trips up to £500 per student. These trips are to locations such as Uganda, Northern Ireland and India.